Monday, March 16, 2015

Preparation for the take off

Day 41.

No more portraits for the next 10 days or at least I'll do my best to avoid drawing any portraits deliberately. From now on, it's only digital: photoshop, maybe sketchbook pro too at some point. I use photoshop on daily basis as a designer, but to use it as a drawing tool as an artist... To me that's completely different story and that's why I feel I need to spend some time to work on getting familiar with digital drawing.

As the first exercise I picked up (suprise! :) ) sci-fi theme, with the pilot sitting in the cockpit of the machine of some sort, fiddling through buttons etc, as if waiting for the take off. I ended up working pretty much the whole day. The first image was born after 3-4 hours and the final one for today in 6-7 hours. Sounds crazy to spend that much time, but that was mostly because of constant fixing and painting over. The lesson learnt during this exercise is to draw outlines first and do color blocking as the last thing, when the composition is ready. Otherwise you'll spend too much of valuable time overdoing things.









No comments:

Post a Comment