Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 1: Portrait - Audrey Hepburn

Portrait

The eye and hand coordination

One thing I wanted to focus on during the following 50 days is drawing portraits. This is one of the skills which I want to invest the time in and improve. In my personal experience, I have made few OK-ish portraits, but usually as a result of trial and error and countless iterations. So the goal is to make the portrait drawing process more straightforward with getting the technique right and to get some experience how to avoid mistakes. Something which comes only through practice I guess.  In the meanwhile as the drawing faces is one of most difficult tasks out there for myself, this would be the best way to practice eye and hand coordination.

One face per day

The goal is to draw one recognizable person every day I practice. I see this easily could be something which will bore me to the death but at the same time this is the task which will give me a way to measure my progress with.

Audrey

So meanwhile the day started really slowly by setting up the work space and focusing on irrelevant stuff, finally I had the chance to sit in front of my Mac with the reference of Audrey Hepburn on the screen and the A4-sketchbook in my lap. So. Audrey. One of my favorite actresses. As the base for the drawing I used A4-sized Fabriano's sketching paper, which was bit too thin (90 gm/m) as I used water color in addition to pencils (5H, 2HB, 6B). This was my second try and it ended up pretty close to how I wanted it to be, even though proportions are a bit off. Spent around 2 hours, which is ridiculously long, but no matter. This is learning process. 





No comments:

Post a Comment